Monday, June 10, 2013

In What Exact Way is China Our Enemy?

On the heels of the outing of the so called 'new' information that our government is spying on us, various pundits have said that we shouldn't make this public because we are giving information to our enemies. I would assume that any American who has given a thought to this subject would not be surprised in the slightest about the mining of information. Of course this is happening and, of course, it has been happening for a long time. But what strikes me as slightly alarming is that in the course of building the case about the crimes of the whistle blower, Edward Snowden, one of his worst potential crimes is letting our enemy China know what we are doing.

China? When did China become 'the enemy'? And this situation comes off completely matter-of-factly as if we all knew this and agreed upon this. I, for one, did not know that China was our enemy. What I did know is the strange looks given to Hillary Clinton and Obama when they scold China about human rights abuses and cyper-piracy respectively.  It is almost as if the Chinese were thinking, "Is this the pot calling the kettle black?" I also suspect that the US and China are each others biggest trading partners. Some enemies! I worry about this kind of assumption of agreement. It is often a first volley of a new game plan.

Can we assume that if we continue our policies against countries like Iran that China will have to support them and therefore  be against us. Is this the next big move? I hate to think this might even be a possibility. We have a very lousy history with wars and occupations. If we even 'won' a war against China how would we fare overseeing the feeding and care of three billion people when we can't even seem to feed three million here at home? Oye.

I, for one, am very grateful to the poor Chinese for working shit jobs in deplorable conditions so I can buy my iphone cheaply and Apple share holders can make so much money. I can't consider the people of China to be my enemies just because they suffered greatly under a communist government. Many people of the world suffer greatly under capitalist regimes.

The Buddha said that life is suffering. That was not a doomsday statement. It was followed by a path to get rid of suffering so we could help our fellow men. One of the great laws of karma is "If you want something, give it away." Take a second to reflect on instances in your life when this might have worked for you. It has always worked for me. Almost.






No comments:

Post a Comment