Saturday, October 12, 2013

I am upset again.

Whence comes my determination to finish this damned book, "The World According to Monsanto"? It is the slowest reading of a book in my lifetime. I am often a book a day kind of gal. I can only handle 6 or 7 pages of this book until I hit my wall. The weird thing is that I thought I knew much of this story. I have been to Monsanto protests. I have lived through Agent Orange, Dioxin, DDT, Bovine Growth Hormone. But the scope of this GMO nightmare and its ability to change the planet and everyone on it is so horrific that it makes me sick. It is probably making us all sick.

Two days ago I read about the invasion of Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and other countries in SA by Monsanto and Roundup Ready GMO soy beans. The scope of the invasion is mind blowing. Hundreds of thousands of peasant farmers have lost their land and migrated to city slums when these crops ruined their lives and their health. As we all know soy beans have some properties that mock estrogen. RR soybeans, genetically modified by the mad scientists have caused girl children in Argentina to get their periods at age 3. These girls didn't even necessarily eat the beans, they lived nearby the fields which were sown with the GM seeds. It makes me sick.

In our own country more and more women are having trouble getting pregnant. More and more kids are suffering from behavioral problems, more and more babies are being born sick. Why can't we stop this? In many Latin American countries they are openly counting the invasion by Monsanto as worse than the conquests by the conquistadors.

I understand that I have come back to this again and again. Sorry. Many states are soon voting on GMO labeling. It would be a place to start. Also some places in the US are trying to have GMO free zones. Another good idea. The virus is unleashed and spreading wildly. But it is still worth fighting.

I return in my memory to the Mayan peasant in Guatemala who wouldn't cook me broccoli. When I asked her why not she said that since the Dole company started growing broccoli in their hills, they had their first remembered cases of cancer, more every year. (Dole uses DDT there which is manufactured in the USA, forbidden for use here but brought back to us on our food grown elsewhere.) This woman said that she understood that we liked the poisonous food in our country but she chose not to use it because of the cancer. With RR GMO food, she won't have a choice not to poison her kids. Wind and water will take care of that. Bad, bad mojo.

No comments:

Post a Comment