Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Slammed down by a nice Buddhist monk.

Went out for a walk in Chiang Mai this fine morning. Well fed, well rested, cool breeze, it was a great start to the day. I had just about come to a decision I have made a bunch of times. It is time to write my book. Yup. That decision. I seem to have this realization when I have a bit of time alone to think. Good friends and relatives have been saying this to me for a very long time. (I hear you, Gretchen!)

So, of course, I walked to some stunning Buddhist temples. What I had pictured was a bit of contemplative time and a lightening bolt telling me what to write. What I found were temples and sculpture so stunning that I was knocked over by them. Buddhas so beautiful that I couldn't think. (My personal Buddha is kind of my best friend and family quietly nudging me when I go off the track."No more gossip for today, my dear." He was not, until now, massive complexes of temples filled to overflowing with gold Buddhas that strain my neck to look upon.

The other thing I had forgotten was that these are not museums. Hundred and hundreds of novices and monks and students were praying, meditating, talking, attending classes, eating snacks, flirting and so on...in my holy space!

So at one huge complex, there was this little garden space and a sign that said, "Chat with a monk." This offered, a seat, shade, and possibly some insight.

My very attractive, very bright, very scholarly, 24 year old monk was named something like "Chunky." I covered my shoulders with my trusty scarf, sat opposite him and prepared to take a new step toward bliss, or at least the lessening of suffering. He asked me if I came alone. He then asked me if I had children and grandchildren. He then kind of scolded me for not bringing them with me. He could not comprehend that I could be so selfish. When I said I was getting on in years and didn't have all that much money and my kids work and my grand kids are in school, he shrugged. Lame excuses.

I kind of 'get' it. Putting it together with my thoughts about writing a book, well, I think I have to change my previous way of operating. I have never been any good at making money. I have never tried much in that arena. Perhaps now I have to write a bang up book, make bank and bring the whole family and my friends to Thailand. Maybe my practicing Buddhism is not for me but for my heirs. Maybe this new picture sits well in my heart.

Get your passports ready friends and family.

1 comment: