Tuesday, March 3, 2015

All Time Winner: Dumbest Remark This Week!

In the USA, this is a momentous challenge. I mean sifting through so many dumb remarks, and ugly remarks, and mean racist remarks, it is hard work. But the thing is that from my sketchy Buddhist training and my good Catholic girl upbringing, I know that the wrath of karma will be upon me if I get down and dirty. So, I will be pedantic.

The comment that has so brought me to the brink comes frequently when I comment about disliking so much of US foreign policy. I have this strange notion that war doesn't bring peace, that killing doesn't win hearts and minds, that invading and conquering doesn't seem to work very well for anyone involved. "So, if you don't like what we are doing, why don't you get the hell out of here? Love it or leave it."

Yes, well, there are a few problems with this rational solution to dissent, probably obvious to anyone with a few functioning brain cells. 

Before I talk about certain core ideas of a a democracy, I might mention that there is probably no country in the world that would say, "Come on in, Jules. We welcome 72 year old American refugees without much money." In fact, loads of other countries have stiff immigration policies. Since only 30% of US citizens have passports, what other countries do or do not do is as mysterious to many as the Second Coming. Opinions abound and yet...

That is certainly one problem with "Love it or leave it.", the other is this idea about our supposedly God given right to freedom of speech. ( a lowly right next to the right to protect your toaster oven with a assault rifle) and the even stranger idea that it is the job of someone who lives in a democracy to be educated and have thoughts and ideas about what is being done in our name with our money. I consider it to be a serious responsibility.

I know there are a lot of folks who wish the Civil War had never been fought and good old slavery still existed. I know there are plenty of people who wish we were still killing those Vietnamese who put our freedom in so much danger. One way or another we still manage to make slavery happen (the millions of prisoners working in jails for $.20 an hour for Mastercard and Visa) and we still make imperial wars (too many to count right now) and I still have the idea that speaking out against injustice and torture and indiscriminate use of torture and terror is my duty as a citizen.

And so, back at you, to those who don't like something about our crazy country (the President, for instance), is "Love it or leave it" really your best shot?

No comments:

Post a Comment