Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My son, Ahab, sort of freaked me out with a comment about me. He mentioned that I didn't function, didn't make decisions, didn't operate from the same set of rules that guide most people. What! Moi? 

As I thought more about his remark, I realized it wasn't at all meant to be a put down or even a slight criticism. It was a fact that he thought was interesting. This has led me to start looking at myself and at others. Checking it out, yes, I think he has a point.

I am a Taurus. How far did you think I could go without getting to the good stuff? I can be stubborn and bull headed. I also can be a very hard worker. But what I can't really do is do something until I have a strong inner feeling that it is right. I start with the gut feeling. The one thing I have learned to count on in life is my intuition. Inner teaching. Inner asking. Inner guidance. I know when I am not listening. Life has a way of knocking me on the head when I go off base. (and believe me I do)

My friend John Gardner once told me the old saw that if God wants to tell you something, first she'll whisper, then she'll shout, then she'll knock you over the head with a baseball bat. Something like that. So it makes sense to try and hear the whisper and it also makes sense that  "I'm only human". Big misses sometimes.

This morning I was in the French bakery in Granada, Nicaragua and I was talking with a couple from Thailand who live in Austin, TX and I said that Ahab and Susie had just left the beach in Thailand days before the Sunami hit. She said that all her family had been on vacation in Cambodia and were annoyed at her parents for delaying WITHOUT REASON their return to the beach in Thailand. "I guess it wasn't our time." she said. "I'll travel with your parents any day." I said.










2 comments:

  1. from a person who knows me
    1) What's it like for a 68 year old woman to move to granada alone?
    What happens? you got mugged ! what was that like?
    what do you worry about?
    what do you love?
    what's it like?
    What are the economics?
    How have you felt living there?
    Have you had a lot of visitors? what are their impressions?
    whats the food like?
    who would do well there?
    2) who have you met that's interesting?
    Do the human interest thing - the dentist helping people (link to the blog posting from your facebook whenever you feel like it.)
    The economics of stuff - talk about your massage lady - that's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete