Thursday, March 8, 2012

I found it and I don't know how

Remember Abe Lincoln, "A house divided against itself can not stand." I think we are coming to this moment in our country. We are so far apart right now, I don't think we could be much more divided. I also think that it is obscene that for the few pivotal votes, the non-committed or Independents, that for that small few who can be influenced,  Obama plans to spend a billion dollars and God knows how much the Republicans will spend. We could just sell votes for less money and not have to listen to so called debates all the time.

I was a big fan of Obama because he inspired me. I thought his speech on Race and Religion was elegant. I had high hopes. My young friend in Nicaragua said if a president here disappointed his voters that way Obama has, his supporters would simply figure that somebody 'got to him'. Her statement made me remember Obama's first State of the Union speech. I thought Michelle looked frightened. She no longer had the confident power woman air about her. I, of course, was watching without the sound on because sometimes I see more that way. There are few threats that would make a mother have that look.

I watched George the Second's taking the oath of office with the sound off and it looked remarkably like a good old fashioned military coup. Yes, the minister was in uniform, the band was in uniform, the people standing behind him were in uniform, the soldiers marched along. If it had been a different country we would have made that observation.

I thing someone or some group did get to Obama. I have been accused in the past of being a conspiracy theorist. Every theory I have offered has turned out to be pretty much true. I can verify this because of  the Freedom of Information Act and Wikileaks and all the great sources that come to light too late to make a difference. There are conspiracies and often we are the unwitting players.

If our country did split apart, if the Union disbanded, would we have a West Bank- Gaza -Israel kind of divide, I wonder, or maybe an India and Pakistan kind of separation? Those models don't look very enlightened. Maybe we should collectively rethink who we are and what we want to be and get on with it.

Obviously, we have to examine first who we are individually. But I think it is also time to think of the common good. In Massachusetts where I grew up it is a Commonwealth, like Virginia. In the town squares we have Commons, which are public spaces where you can graze your cows. The idea was to incorporate for the common good so that all could have a chance to thrive and be well. I am a fan of this idea. But we also sent soldiers to fight in a Civil War to stand behind our interests. I am not a fan of that .




1 comment:

  1. Hey Julie I've got a good book for you to kindle:
    Jay-Z's DECODED.
    great book. Smart guy. Influencial. Now there's a presidential hopeful. I have been listening to WAY to much NPR.

    ReplyDelete