Sunday, March 4, 2012

talking about love...

I just got a SKYPE video call from my grand daughter Bella. She sang a long and complex "I love you Grandma" song which she composed on the spot. She asked for my song in return and my version was so lacking and so boring and she listened as though it was the most beautiful song of all. Now, I call that 'love'.

After speaking with her, I have an overflowing of love in my heart.

When I was a child, after our prayers at night we did the "God Blesses". My brother Bill, who was very fast made one word that sounded like 'gobbles'. He could whip through in seconds flat. I went on and on. God Bless Mummy and Daddy and so on, and then sometime later I would be down to "and God Bless the kitten I saw on the way home from school." Then poor dear Mom would have to shut me down for the night, You didn't want to forget anyone.

Bella reminds me to bless and count my blessings.

Listening to the news makes me forget all the good stuff. My friends have probably been holding their collective breath hoping I wouldn't get onto politics. Today I won't except to mention that it is sometimes really hard to remember that we are the country that supposedly was founded on "Brotherly Love" I mean, really, think about it.
What a fine concept. Have we lost sight of the Spirit of this country? Has the Spirit given up on us?

If, as I described yesterday, Love could be an actual being, then we should ask ourselves  "What would Love do in this or that situation?"  We might get surprising answers. We probably wouldn't be killing people half way around the world with drones. We probably wouldn't be polluting the earth. We probably wouldn't be gaining wealth from stocks in companies that do evil shit. But less obviously we probably wouldn't even be having hurtful thoughts. I am so grateful for the glimpse into Bella's love and innocence tonight. I want that in my life.

So, in the spirit of 'Brotherly Love"; God bless Haliburton, God bless BP, God bless General Electric, God bless Fox News, God bless Rick Santorum.

No comments:

Post a Comment