Sunday, May 5, 2013

Another Wonderful Camino Movie

Last night I saw Walking the Camino, Six Ways to Santiago, a new documentary about this wonderful, crazy, adventure of making a pilgrimage.  The audience was packed with people of all ages. That, in itself, is sort of rare because retirees seem to outnumber  the young at most events here.

The first thing that struck me was how similar the Camino Pilgrimage is to life. I can plan something, big or small, and then life happens. By what miracle of karma do we end up meeting just the perfect person at the perfect time? By what miracle of karma do we end up in a seemingly terrible situation with a difficult person at just the right time? How could we ever arrange life the way it turns out?

Even a non planner-like I am goes to the Camino with some sort of idea that I have packed the right stuff, figured out the route, have a purpose. The early pilgrims, like Saint Francis (before he was a saint) walked with nothing. People along the way provide. They get their blessings from easing the way for the pilgrims. You can't 'get' it until you do it. And I guarantee that the best plans will fall apart or drastically change so that at some point the pilgrim will be naked. (metaphorically speaking)

The experience is exactly like our real life except we have contrived many ways to hamper our freedom and close off the avenues to walking our path freely. People in the audience were most amazed that no one knew where they would sleep or eat on any given day. Everyone who has been a pilgrim has some story about how, when the inn was full, the weather bad, the feet sore, someone appeared with a solution. A door opened at a farm house and an invitation was offered. Food or wine appeared by the side of the road with a note to the dear brave pilgrims to enjoy.

Stories like "Stone Soup" or the "Loaves and the Fishes" come to mind. This is archetypal stuff. I know the Camino has some powerful earth energy that sustains the walkers. I know that I drew inspiration from the millions of souls who had gone before me. I know that the Catholic tradition was strong for me. But, that being said, I had pretty much my unique experience and the very same experience that everyone before me and with me had.

Last night I thought of the bravery and simplicity of Peace Pilgrim who shed her possessions and her life and did a pilgrimage across the United States. She carried nothing, brought no food, had no money to speak of and was provided for the whole 3,000 mile walk. She also made wonderful friends and brought her simple message of peace to countless people both on her pilgrimage and later with her book.

I was impressed with this film because I could see the people in the audience coming to  an understanding of themselves and picturing themselves with nothing walking to Santiago for no understandable reason. There is also something to be said for doing the impossible. Even for those who can't make the whole walk or who get sick and go home or who die on the way, something big has been accomplished. It is not a race or a competition we each get what we need. Just like life itself. Buen Camino!

No comments:

Post a Comment