Friday, September 25, 2015

Veni Vidi Vici/ The Pope's Miraculous Visit to the United Nations

I am so spaced out or maybe the correct words are 'spaced in'. I just watched Pope Francis' speech at the United Nations headquarters in New York City. So many words and moments are rushing through my mind. So much peace in my heart. Mr. Gandhi was often heard to say that for every weapon made, there would be a more powerful one made to top it, but the most powerful weapon that could ever be used is love. I think I saw that in action today.

Speaking truth to power, the Pope quietly, lovingly, crushed any and every argument that could possibly be used for the unspeakable acts and words of violence that are happening today. Truth, compassion and love are not soft, compromising, weak acts. They are the most powerful forces that are available  to the human spirit. White Eagle said, "Everything is spirit. That is all we need to know and spirit is triumphant over matter."

Amen.

Inspired people give something of their grace and power to everyone they encounter. Anyone who has ever been in the presence of such individuals has experienced this. They transmit heart to heart. I felt that through the computer recording of Pope Francis today. I have felt that in person (in the company of thousands of others) when I was gifted to be near the Dalai Lama, Desmond Tutu, Nelson Mandala, Pir ilayat Inayat Khan, Thich Nhat Hanh, and Chief John Pretty on Top.

The thing that always strikes me the most is that the most powerful people I have encountered are the least self striving and the least egoistical. That or Zen or was it Christian or was it Islam thing of losing yourself to find yourself. And it is risky business. Christ, King, Gandhi, the list can go on and on, lost their lives to speak their truth. But they live on because they fused their hearts with many.

And I like it a lot that Francis could be living the life of luxury that his office affords, but is taking the opportunity his office affords to be a voice for the voiceless. Maybe this will remind all of us that Jesus spoke truths 2,000 years ago that are needed more than ever today.

No comments:

Post a Comment