Thursday, July 5, 2012

PAX PANIS-PEACE OF BREAD ( Part 1)


My memory. Each of us would have a very different perspective on this story.

I had moved to Ashland, Oregon because I was under the mistaken idea that winters would be easier here than in New England. Also, all my kids had migrated to the West Coast (of USA) and I was under the mistaken illusion that I would be nearer them. In actuality it took longer to drive to San Francisco than to fly from Boston...same for Seattle and Portland. But I was not mistaken in the fact that I had some wonderful friends in Ashland and friends are really important.

I hadn't 'found myself' in Ashland. I had taken a few hopelessly dumb jobs and volunteered to work at the Peace House. The Peace House was a quiet place (sic) started, I think, by some good Quakers. It was situated right next to the college campus. I thought I might connect with some young folks and we might get some action. There were no young people evident. The volunteer job they gave me was to stuff envelopes with the news letter. After a few hours of doing so and gazing yearningly at the college, I made a snotty statement that a monkey could stuff envelopes - there must be something more active I could do.

I got to talking with Ruth who worked there. I asked her about young people and what they were up to. She said that they didn't have any interest from the college kids, but that a bunch of local kids were all out of town at a timber protest. I perked up. President Clinton had signed some kind of salvage rider that allowed the timber companies to take what they could from VIRGIN FOREST, giving them 90 days to do so. A great and ultimately successful (no trees out) protest was going on at that very moment.

I said that I had to see this and had to meet the kids. We took a long ride and a long walk to get to the VIRGIN FOREST! It was so utterly beautiful, overwhelming, grand, breath-taking, I couldn't believe it. There was a pretty huge encampment there. The protesters had to live there for the 90 days. They had gardens, food kitchens, shelters, the whole thing. The day we went, the kids had made cement barrel barricades on the logging roads and had handcuffed themselves to them. It was a very dangerous situation. The loggers were for the most part armed. The police were on the side of the loggers. Fortunately there was media there or who knows what would have come down. It remained a peaceful protest. The kids were frequently arrested (which was to have consequences later on). I liked the scene and I liked the kids.

Back in town I got a job I loved working at a new spa in town (also to have consequences later on - good ones). When the ninety days were over, the kids drifted back to town. I talked to Ruth and she said they were pretty depressed: with the high energy mission over, life was feeling flat. Also many were homeless and jobless from having been up in the woods for so long. I suggested we get together.

I never really knew how things happened with this gang. No one had a phone. Many had no homes and were camping in the hills. But a whole bunch of them came to Ruth's house to get together. Many were vegan. Most had multiple piercings. Lots of ambient odors (they didn't believe in the use of 'products'. Read - soap, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste et cetera.)

They started in with general chatter about all the things they hated; corporations, pesticides, war, police, corporations, corporations, school, people ripping you off, fast foods, meat, corporations. They were very knowledgeable. They were pretty hurt by life experience. They were very far outside the system. Clearly.

"OK. I get it." I said. "Now tell me what do you like or love?" A half minute's silence and they said "Food, healthy organic, vegan, food." With those words we started a truly kick-ass project.


No comments:

Post a Comment