Wednesday, March 20, 2013

How can we stay connected to the earth when we walk on cement?

I don't walk barefoot in Granada, Nicaragua. In fact I have only seen one person do so. In fact, I don't sit in the grass or get my feet in the dirt ever. One case of chiggers in Guatemala was enough for me to learn my lesson. But when I am at the beach, walking on sand, I am closer to nature. When I am working in the garden, I am more grounded. When I am picking figs off of Greeley's tree, I am happy and automatically think about abundance.

I am making a case for tree hugging. Touching nature gives back. Touching nature feeds us. When I think about all the feet that only walk on macadam or cement it makes me sad. How do people stay connected? I don't mean face book connected. I mean that feeling you get when you see a fantastic moon, or pick a perfect flower, or jump in the lake, or watch a hummingbird come into the garden, or feel the sand under your feet.

Go out and look for the buds under the snow. Go hug a mighty oak. Go for a walk in the moonlight. That is my advice for the day. As with many great truths, this sounds so trite, so simple, yet is is powerful mojo.

No comments:

Post a Comment