Friday, March 22, 2013

To Be or Not to Be? That is the Question.

I have no idea whether my readers in Latvia or China or Indonesia have read much Shakespeare. I have, probably because I had to take a course in college. I remember being irate or at least indignant because Oliver Butterworth, my professor, spent only two lecture periods on each play. "We should spend a whole year on one speech from Hamlet!" I proclaimed, in my 19 year old wisdom.

That was my first sophomore year. I was just joining the first wave of people turning on, tuning in and dropping out. In that Survey of Shakespeare course we had to memorize and recite a sonnet. The sonnet Oliver chose for me has the memorable line "Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds." Perhaps he was more perceptive than I gave him credit for being.

Today, I was teaching my over-stressed, dear friend, how to meditate. It seemed like a good thing to share with him. He is a Nicaraguan who speaks perfect English. He did, after all, live in Miami when he was young. I kind of got into the "To be or not to be" muddle trying to explain that you are awake and aware while meditating, but at the same time you are practicing being empty of your 'monkey mind'. So, you are and you are not.

I had to give up on that line of talk and say, "Let's just meditate and see whether we can be and not be at the same time." He was awesome. After our first short session, he looked younger and deeper.

I used to teach meditation classes. Right now I am doing the Deepak Chopra and Oprah 21 Day Meditation Challenge. It is free online and a beautiful 15 minutes each day with Chopra leading the practice. With such good teachers and such good company, who wouldn't enjoy it? These meditations remind me "to be here now".  Our fears ans stress and anxieties are fully about the past or the future. When we quiet our minds and follow our breath, we are present.

Good Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment