Friday, March 29, 2013

Old Friends are the Gold Standard

My daughter, Ariel and I spent time this morning with her godfather and my old friend, Lee Perron. I talked about Lee in a previous blog when I spoke of his new book of poetry, Celtic Light. He is Ariel's godfather and has never forgotten his job in that line. Our relationship is priceless to me because, not only have we known each other well for fifty years, but we know each other's families and friends and lovers and partners. It is different from family relationships because we it is by choice that we are friends. I assume that we chose our familial relationships before we are born.

My experience is that when we are separated from friends, one or another drops the ball and friends become memories. These rare, special ones where that doesn't happen can sometimes be closer than family. It is a different use of memory when the relationship last over the decades for we can look back and reflect together. The other thing that struck me this morning was that it doesn't take that many words, or many words at all to be in the same space together, and seeing him made me feel young. it brought me back to the moments when we knew we were the smartest, most beautiful people walking this earth and our potential was limitless. I caught that good feeling this morning and loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment