Saturday, July 6, 2013

Is Prayer Bogus?

Have you noticed that it is easier to pray for world peace than for the healing of a loved one? It is easier to pray for the healing of a loved one than to pray to find your car keys. I suspect that is because we often don't expect an answer to our prayers. The simple immediate things are a much greater test, I would think.

As many teachers have pointed out, starting with the thought "I want" puts any prayer in shaky territory. The word 'want' means 'lack'. Therefore any prayer with that thought is just stating the obvious. "I lack world peace." Seriously. It ain't happening. I am not saying that it is not a worthwhile activity. Just thinking the thought 'world peace' is good for all. Simply taking the second to put that lovely idea into the universe is significant. It has to be healing for us and for the planet. One point of light or a thousand points of light" or a million points of light or a billion points of light have to have some effect. But we never expect to live to see the result of our hopes so it can not be a test of the efficacy of prayer.

Having a little faith helps in the prayer department. Ever since I was a little child, I have prayed to St. Anthony to help me find things. I guess the little rhyme was taught me by my mother. "Saint Anthony, St. Anthony, please come around, something is lost that can not be found. Please help me find..." It worked when I was a kid and it works now because I believe in this prayer. I am a champion finder of lost stuff even when The Borrowers have been involved. Was it my blind faith as a child or my training through successive successes that makes this work for me? Not sure.

If the teaching of Christ can be believed, "Ask and ye shall receive." then, as soon as a prayer is uttered, the answer is guaranteed. 100%. Therefore, every time we pray, we need to breathe out and say "Thank you." and have absolute faith the prayer is answered. That is tough. And it brings us to the next problem. What is our intention in praying? Are we praying for a new very fancy pair of shoes that we can't afford? Are we praying for courage to face our daily challenges? Are we praying for guidance through our darkest hours? I think it matters a lot. At least it does in my experience.

Do we know what to pray for? Are our ideas of what should happen the ones which will result in the greatest good for all? Is our intention to do the right thing or to get our way? This is a complicated business.

I know that great theologians have spent life times pondering this business. I think we can always be safe just turning our thoughts and hearts inward and upward and turning to the light.




No comments:

Post a Comment