Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The great conversation stopper.

"How are you?"

"Great!"

What's new?"

"Nothing much."

What have you been doing lately?"

"Just hanging out, taking my walks, eating good food, doing my meditation practice , seeing friends."

OK, I'm boring. I have been hoping for this minute in the grand scheme of things for what feels like forever. Even if it is only a blink, it is a very welcome blink. I don't have a complaint today. Yes, sure, I can get cranked up about world events and the global warming and the unholy, ungodly actions of people and nations. But personally, I am calm for today. I am not holding back or repressing or ignoring my personal shit. I feel good.

Strangely, feeling like this is a show stopper in many conversations. We seem to like hearing each others miseries. We can offer our sage advice or we can secretly feel a little superior or we can tune out and wait our turn to out share our pain. But running into a content person seems to be a dead end. There must be something wrong with them or at least they don't want to share what is really going on.

I like the dog days of summer when I rush around in the morning and do laundry, cook a pot of brown rice, tidy up my garden and then either go swimming or lie around and read for the day.

"What are you doing?"

"Pretty much nothing."

1 comment: