Thursday, April 5, 2012

AM I A LUDDITE?

When my friend A.N. chose a law school, she picked one that had a famous civil rights faculty. She had been out of school for a few years. As a returning student, not that many years out, she experienced a profound change in the lecture halls. In law school, each and every student was sitting facing the lecturer but engrossed in his/her laptop. When the professor asked a question, the student often acted like it was an intrusion. Discussion and human interface were significantly absent. So, the question became why bother to have a good professor if you aren't mining her uniqueness and experience? Why have a teacher at all? Why don't you just get the notes and study guides and pass the tests?

When I remember my favorite teachers, I don't remember information, I remember how they inspired me. I wanted to be able to think like they did.  Yes, I have been very inspired by books, like Vicktor Frankle's Man's Search for Meaning. Like so many books.. but the inspiring teachers, they took my heart as well as my mind.


Joan P., my tenth grade Latin teacher, had been badly burned in a fire saving a child's life. She had sold her house to buy a Matisse painting she couldn't live without. She inspired me and learning Latin was a byproduct. When I think like this, I feel like a Luddite, I wonder what you all are experiencing in this realm. Let me know. I need input.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment