Tuesday, October 2, 2012

I'm Going Back to Nicaragua

When I made this decision, I was really wanting to go to Southeast Asia. I have friends in Vietnam and Thailand. But, at the same time, I was a bit tired of traveling, well, just plain tired. My thinking went something like this: I loved being in Nica last winter. Much of my schedule was dictated by my extensive dental work so there are many people and places I want to see this year. I loved the people. I was warm, not hot, every day. The cultural, social, and political experiences were rich and rewarding. It was affordable. It was beautiful. I had simple fresh food every day. I have scoped out the scene and it will be easy. I can use an easy year. I am going.

Now, I am getting excited. By next month for sure, si Dios quiere.  When I lived in New England, February was for a long time my bad month. That was when you understood the term "cabin fever."
Many years we were literally shut in our home due to blizzards, or washed out roads, illness, that kind of shit. Then one year we started to tap the maple trees and make maple syrup. It was such a gorgeous activity even with our little tiny operation. We made plenty of mistakes, the first of which was having the steam from cooking down the sap remove our wallpaper and make everything sticky. We moved the operation outside. We also burned a few batches. The last minutes require attention. But the fun of running with the kids from tree to tree, checking the buckets! And the most wonderful taste of the first cool sap at the beginning of the season. Loved that. Suddenly I loved February. Once tuned in you could practically see the tree branches turn color when the first run of sap came. Life was kind of still hidden, but you could feel it everywhere.

Having made friends with February, and overcome what we called "The Februaries", I fell out with November. To me, even the most beautiful spots in New England look bleak and dull in November. I was smothered by the impending doom of winter coming. I don't even like Thanksgiving. I mean I like giving thanks, don't get me wrong, but I thought the holiday was dumb. Mom was a lousy cook, and I was a vegetarian. And I dislike football. Bummer. Bleak, ominous, cold, dull November. Oregon isn't as cold, but I still can't get behind it. So, with great joy, I am heading back to the sunshine of Central America this November. It wouldn't be fair for me to stay here and be forced to complain all the time and you be forced to listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment