Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Library2go

Imagine this! I got to tell one of my tech savvy kids about something they can do . I am always behind the times, finding out about stuff when it is old hat to the rest of the world. My son implied that some people might not know about Library2go. It is probably because they aren't library patrons to start with. I am a library lover. But I am also away from libraries a lot.

Here's the deal. If you have a Kindle and you have a library card, you can borrow books for free from your library on the Kindle. The way my local library has it set up, you go to the local library website, chose books you want (my library lets you take six at a time), click on "put in my cart" then you put in your library card number and get to choose 1,2,or3 weeks. Then it shoots you to Amazon and you clink on "borrow from library" and they download it onto your Kindle.

The libraries have limited numbers of each title, just as they do with paper books. The first title I requested was 'out'. At ten that night, I got a message on my phone saying that it was ready. And down it came onto my Kindle. When the 1 week or whatever you pick has expired, the book just vanishes from your Kindle. You don't have to press anything to return it.

My next challenge is going to be the lend a book to a friend thing on the Kindle. I understand it works about the same. One thing I have found hard about the Kindle is not being able to pass books around as I have always done. I assume this feature came because a few million other readers had the same experience. Read away!

No comments:

Post a Comment