Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Are We Our Stuff, or Are We More Than That?

A bunch of years ago, (before parasites, that is) I had this image come to me. I saw our homes being our stage set, our clothes being our costumes and we could make up the play we were presenting. I am one of those people who likes to change the play. I am also a "second hand rose" so I never really have experienced what play I would put on if I had the means. I have often thought it would be a southwestern style, adobe, cactus theme. But, then, I do like green growing a lot. Quien Sabe? Maybe a southwestern jungle?

And with clothes, it is pretty much the same deal. I can do the preppy society dame thing pretty well. I can do the grey haired hippy woman. I can do the "I don't give a shit, let's be comfortable thing." But, the truth is that I certainly have my likes and dislikes. I have had houses that made me happy and houses that never felt right.

I am worried by several things; one is that I know a lot of  people who make the stage set and never change it. We all know those people. They have the plant in the same corner for 20 years, long after it has started to look sad and half dead. These are often the same people who won't move to their child's house when they get old and sick. They need their stuff. Have they merged their being with their junk? Is being with old memories, covered with dust and chipped plates easier than letting go?

Is my lack of stuff a bad sign? All my worldly possessions are in my sister's garage. Am I nobody because I don't have a stage to play on or is all the world my stage as said the Sage?  Do we encourage people to identify with their few or many possessions? Like saying "Dad couldn't stand to move because his familiar stuff is all around him? Maybe Dad is sick to death of the same old shit and the faded pictures of the grandchildren when they were little and is just trying to humor us in our delusions.

I can see having a movable altar with some treasures and pix of those who have gone before you. But the truth is, you can't take it with you. Unless you are a pharaoh or something like that. Is having a lot of stuff or never changing anything as sign of a well adjusted person or some kind of a nut? Does changing the stage willingly prevent the forced changes that fires and floods bring? I am looking for some of your thoughts, dear readers. Is this a dumb question? I don't think so. Some day someone will be throwing our stuff in dumpsters or selling it on ebay. How much of our life gets thrown away when that day comes?


No comments:

Post a Comment