Thursday, November 29, 2012

Getting My Hair Washed ..Nica Beauty Shop

We have been experiencing the city water being turned off at random intervals as they do work on ? Something.  Each time it happens I get this feeling that all will be well tomorrow.   Consequently, I decide that I'll wash my hair in the morning because I don't want to sleep with wet hair...the mold factor.

I was out and about yesterday afternoon, down near the insane market and I couldn't stand my dirty hair another minute. I can sometimes be pretty impatient. I looked up and there was a salon right above me. Before I had a chance to check it out, the little toothless (there but for the grace of God go I) hairdresser had a good grip on my arm and was leading me into her house? salon? and plunking me in a chair. I told her wash it and creme rinse it. There was no water in sight, no sink even.

She started spraying water on my head, then put a ton of shampoo and gave a vigorous rub. I mean I thought she was doing adjustments. The hair was fully foamy and the head and neck were actually feeling good, a bit more awake, if you will. We had exchanged no words. Some neighborhood kids had come in to watch. She kind of yanked me by the towel around my neck and took me back into the dark bowels of her house and had me put my head over the pila (the stone sink) Then she took a small plastic bowl and poured water all over me and my hair. Then the same deal with the creme rinse.

We went back to the front and she combed my hair and I paid her the $1.25 and left with the cleanest smoothest hair I have ever sported.

I thought you might enjoy a little picture into the third world life. Oh ya, and I mentioned before the Dengue Fever thing. The other day two really attractive young people came to the door and said they were from the Dept. of Health and they needed to enter. I took the chance and while I was locking the doors, they went areound the garden  and put some powder from little plastic bags around the edges. When I asked them what they were doing, it was getting rid of mosquitoes. When I them what they were using, it sounded a lot like DDT. It must be my Spanish, I couldn't have heard right.

No comments:

Post a Comment