Thursday, September 5, 2013

Clearing up some misconceptions.

No, I am not using ride shares just to get new material for my blog. I actually use them to get from one place to another. But it is quite amazing to travel alone and to get to know fun people and their stories. And for those of you for whom this is a nightmare idea, I have always been able to sleep or not have conversation when that was my wish. There is an amazing respect for personal space. (except for the stoned out French woman with the didgeridoo, and she was the most fun of all.)

No, I am not against Obama, I am against stupid invasions which are destined to create much more trouble than we can imagine. I am against war because it is the dumbest way imaginable to resolve conflict. All wars end up at the conference table. It might be original to go there first and sidestep the killing.

Yes, I do read the news a lot. But no, I can't be put in any category. I am most certainly not a Republican, not a Democrat, not an anything. I vote with my personal inclination.One time I even voted for a Republican. In the last presidential election I voted for Dr. Jill Stein a Green Party candidate whom I think is wonderful.

The time I voted for a Republican governor of Massachusetts, I just happened to like William Weld. He had a great sense of humor in the old Boston tradition. He was asked once by Bulger (the good brother) whether his ancestors had come over on the Mayflower and he said, "No, we sent the servants over on the Mayflower so they could prepare the cottage for us." Great Yankee modesty.

I was having lunch in Cambridge with a woman who had a farm near us in New Hampshire. Her friend joined us and we started in on the governor's election. I said I had voted for a Republican for the first time in my life and I hoped I didn't burn in hell for it. The woman who had joined us looked a bit funny. My friend who had introduced us thought to mention at that time that her friend was Susan Roosevelt Weld. I had only caught the Susan part. This was the governor elect's wife and the great grand daughter of Theodore Roosevelt. I was glad I hadn't gotten into too heavy a rant. He kept his sense of humor through out his term and added a lot to the traditional St. Patrick's Day Breakfast of all the pols from Boston.

And yes, I see very real connections between spirituality and politics and the arts and science and the destiny of mankind and the planet. I really do. I can never say, "I'm into spiritual stuff, I don't do politics." Or the reverse. Everything is connected. We are all connected. Living la vida loca.

1 comment: