Saturday, June 2, 2012

Does saying "I'm Sorry" Really Help?

Yes and no. Sure, it is a start. But what happens next? We inwardly should vow that "I won't do it again." And we should never do it again. But we have already created the karma from whatever it is that we are sorry about. Oi!

So we have to create the karma so that we won't repeat whatever it was. I am getting pretty abstract here. I'll try to bring it down to earth.

If, as is obvious to any thinking person, our economic practices are hurting other people and hurting the planet, and causing great distress ubiquitously, how can we do things with our money that make us good stewards of our money and contribute to the welfare of us all? It is so hard not to be blind or deceived or hopeful or even optimistic that a good investment is a good investment. Think about the Apple story. It has taken all these years for the truth to emerge about the suicides of workers in China because of Apple practices. And where do the materials and minerals come from that make these nifty gadgets? And how do those minerals get out of the ground? Many of us allowed ourselves to be glamored by the products and the advertisements into thinking it was a great company. It may be a great company, the iphone has certainly made my life easier, but now I have this karma, sitting on my shoulders. "I'm sorry."

Doesn't feel like enough. I try to think of healthy practices, that make money for everyone, that improve the air and earth. My idea for today comes because I live in Oregon. In Oregon you can not help but see the deforestation process every time you look anywhere. My idea for investment is to take some $ out of funds that support monsters like Monsanto and buy or lease some land and plant trees. In thirty years, timber will be even more rare and valuable. If a lot of people did this year after year, we would have some sustainable woodlots and some guaranteed $ down the road.
I am sure that there is some down side to this idea, that some reader will awaken me with. But for today, I am trying to think it through. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment