Sunday, June 10, 2012

Physics Lesson

We got it! Kay and Susan and I opted to attend the Behind the Music: An Introduction to the Physics of Sound demonstration class at our 50th re-union weekend. And the teaching was so creative, so compelling, so clear that we 'got it'. We pretty much agree that it was due to the teacher and not to an increase in our native intelligence. But listening to the accomplishments of the women at the reunion it became clear that we have been a force in the world.

Kay made the observation that our aging hadn't changed any of us, just had made us more who we are. I have to agree. My fabulous history teacher, Dr. Schuyler made a fine tribute to me. He said that he "knew I was trouble when I walked into his classroom 52 years ago and there was absolutely no evidence to convince him otherwise." He said it was the bushy hair that tipped him off.
 I think it was Susan's song and my story that jogged his memory after all these years.

Kay, Susan and I had many activities that were against the rules, but I was pretty much the only one who ever got caught. On one trip to the formal and formidable Miss Johnston's  office, I was afraid. I thought I had been caught for some big deal like smoking, but it turned out that we had written some notes on our sheets after lights out with the faulty theory that if we slept on the answers they would penetrate our consciousness. The theory didn't really work and I was called to the carpet for damaging the sheets.


So, Miss Johnston, Head Mistress, stared me down. I hung my head in shame. And she said. "Julie, two men looked through the bars and one saw mud and the other saw stars. Julie, you have potential to see stars." Long deep stare. Heavy eyebrows. Kay and Susan listening outside the office door. I was so relieved. No expulsion this time. I gathered my courage and looked into her eyes. We stood up. She reached out to shake my hand. I said, "Yes, yes, I think I get your drift." She missed the sarcasm in my voice because her camel-like second eye lids   had already covered her eyes and her mind had moved on to her next problem.

Having a ton of rules made it very easy to be mischievous without being bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment