Monday, June 18, 2012

WHen Good Things Happen to Bad People

It is actually not so very surprising because all karma isn't from this life and especially not from last year or last month. But, if as I premise, everything has a cause and everything has an effect, then if someone is 'bad' they will never get away with it. To the short sighted (normal) person this might not be obvious. It might look (as it certainly often does) as if the biggest crooks get the biggest rewards. And being selfless or kind or caring gets you no where. I can't believe that this is true.

But what really turns me on is when I experience instant karma. Walking in Seattle on day, I gave a homeless guy a few $. Five minutes later I found $50 on the street. So I went back and gave my good luck guy some more $. No, I didn't find another $50, but it all felt very good.

Today was my last day using a backpack for carrying my shit. I am traveling and have never gotten around to getting a suitcase on wheels. Today my back hurt and my shoulders hurt and I really couldn't manage the pack. I was in Boston, MA, USA. I was on a bus, train, car, and subway. There were crowds of young people around everywhere and not one person offered to help me hoist my pack onto my back. The only person who offered me a seat was another older woman. In Nicaragua, I couldn't carry a small bag of groceries without someone offering to help. In my kinder thoughts I decided that today didn't demonstrate disrespect, but rather it was a show of ignorance.

I grew up in a time when you stood up when an older person walked into the room. I offered my seat a thousand times to older people. But today was a good experience for me. I didn't get any permanent damage from my back pack and I got the message that it is time to change my ways.

I have to figure that whether or not today was a lesson I needed or some old bad karma coming to bite me, it could not be random. Things can't have a cause and be random at the same time. Maybe all karma is good karma if you can take it as a chance to clear up bad karma. Does this make sense?


1 comment:

  1. "...today didn't demonstrate disrespect, but rather it was a show of ignorance"

    Or was it a show of respect?

    Isn't it more disrespectful to think someone needs help, or is any way 'age-challenged', or is otherwise 'different'.

    ReplyDelete