Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Phythagoras, in Another Life

Not I. My friend BT had a reading from a clairvoyant in which it was described that she and I were together in the school of Pythagoras . He was a philosopher and a mathematician about 500 BC. When I look at BT, I see this link. She has spent her life with the maths, sciences, music. She is very accomplished. She reads physics books for fun. She has a profound interest in philosophy.

I think the 'reader' threw me in because she knew I was BT's friend. Might as well make the whole deal better. I have none of these accomplishments. None.

But something in this picture resonates. BT and I were like those married couples who saw each other across the room and knew they were going to be together. Although our life paths were polar opposites we were great friends right from the start. we were intellectual friends as well as partners in crime. Over the years we lost each other and found each other. Then something started to happen in me. I started to get  (maybe remember) math and physics. I have no basis for my understanding, things just started to become clear. I like math because it is dependable. I like physics because it is reliable. Very nice to know that every time you drop a stone it goes toward the earth. Very satisfying.

Talking to my room mate after our reunion, she spoke about how surprised she was at the wonderful reception we got. She had thought of herself as not very cool and a bit immature. I thought of myself as slightly handicapped in math and science. Both ideas of self carried on for many years. I don't know that it is a bad thing. It is just what happened.

I have met people who thought they were unattractive as kids and years later see old pictures and realize that they were lovely. Weird stuff-- self image.

About the clairvoyant - I think it more likely that I was involved in the School of Alexandria a few centuries later. Whenever I read about the intellectual activity there, I get a little flurry of excitement. All this might not matter a wit, or it could be of the most significance. With so many billions of people on this planet, why do we run into the ones we do? Each and every encounter must be of paramount significance. It has to be. The smile we give to a "stranger" on the street has to have meaning. If not, then no encounter has meaning. It is either none of it random or all of it random.


1 comment: