Monday, January 27, 2014

Found it!




Wow! I am certain that this story has happened so very many times throughout history, but it is still a bit of a shock to be watching it unfold. So, finally Nicaragua is a known tourist and expat destination. This is no wonder because at the moment it is one of the relatively safe places with relatively great weather and is relatively inexpensive. And Granada and San Juan del Sur are the hot spots. And they are developing very fast. New hotels and restaurants are opening all the time. This is a very good year for tourism here.

The big conversation around town is about how expensive it is getting. This is most certainly relative. But what does anyone expect? People bring in the tourist dollars, expect everything they can get in a developed country and create a dual economy and then think they are getting ripped off when they have to pay for it.

It seems to be accepted wisdom that tourism is good for a poor country, but I wonder. Do most of the tourist dollars end up going back to the countries of origin? Higher prices for gringos translate into higher prices for locals when Nicaraguans can’t afford to buy houses in Granada anymore. This must be how these gringolandias happen. San Miguel de Allende, Antigua, Guatemala, locals are priced out. Of course this happens everywhere. Think Nantucket, MA. Think of pretty much any beach town anywhere.

Here it is so just happening right at this very moment, one can’t help but remark on it. Soon the Nica folks will be a cute show for the tourists instead of a living culture. Oh, I am not really afraid of this happening but I probably should be. When you hear gringos remark “Oh, it was so nice at the concert, a lot of Nicas were there.” it sets my teeth on edge. Ten years ago at the same concert, it was only Nicaraguans.

I am not complaining about the expense because I know I can go to any other town in the country and get everything for ¼ of the price. I also know that this place is beautiful and fun and I like it here. I like to have internet, I like to have good drinking water, I like the people of Nicaragua. I’m only complaining about the complaining. I think I need a consultation with the good Lamas in Thailand again. I never did get the email addresses of any Thai Lamas.

Speaking of Thai Lamas, I was talking to an expat who is a developer here. I told her I had been in Thailand. She said, and I quote, “I am so over Thailand, the tourists have ruined it” She said this with no sense of irony. Life is great. And I am rid of my amoebas.


No comments:

Post a Comment