Wednesday, January 15, 2014

This prayer thing.

My friend Sonja is a few hours away from having surgery for colon cancer. All her wonderful friends are sending prayers for her. What else can we offer? But Sonja and I were picturing the prayers like the Tower of Babel. Some people are praying for her recovery, some for her to to avoid pain, some for her to go peacefully, some for courage, some for themselves, and some for God's will to be done.

If you believe in God, won't God's will be done no matter what you pray for? Is the switchboard getting clogged up there? Are the prayers just to help us feel better in a situation that is already in the play? I like praying. I like praying some of the oldies but goodies. I love the "Hail Mary", I like the "Lord's Prayer". I like  the Buddhist "Gate, gate....". I like the 23 Psalm. Mostly, I like them because I feel the positive spirits coming near me when I turn towards the light.

I will be one of the folks praying for Sonja this morning. I have decided just to try and connect my heart to her big generous heart. She is planning on reciting the 23rd Psalm on her way into the operating theater. I will join her in that. I have no idea what the best outcome would be. But wherever she is, I hope she feels bathed in the good will of all of us. When you get down to it, I agree with myself that it is the intention that counts in our spiritual endeavors, not the form.

1 comment:

  1. Live every moment as if it's your last. We all come from nothing and go to nothing, but those magnificent savory moments of life are everything ... and nothing. What could be better.

    ReplyDelete