Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Resurrection is a great idea. The Phoenix rising from the ashes, not bad either.

I am going to assume that we all have had experiences of life's little crucifixions. As in the Catholic story, "He was crucified, died, and was buried." Can you think of any of those moments? From the smallest to the largest, they all hit us pretty hard. And if you are a good Catholic or a good Jew, you feel guilty as anything because you have been trained to suffer guilt. It is bred in.

But this resurrection business - this is good stuff! We can rise from the dead. We can get reborn. It can happen in this life with a lot of hard work a la Obrah and Deepak, it can happen suddenly, as in a miracle, an awakening, a conversion, or it can happen in the next life, as in getting a great next incarnation. My Mom used to say, "You will get your reward in heaven." I have no memory of that experience, but I have experienced many little resurrections.

When I grew up in the Catholic faith, I was always uncomfortable with the Christ on the cross as the centerpiece of the altar. I wanted to be looking at a picture or statue of the Resurrected Christ. If the Christ being incarnated in the man, Jesus, he/she could also incarnate in me. That is very hopeful stuff.

In the Buddhist tradition, when one is suffering, you are encouraged to seek refuge in a higher being. I am alternately comforted by being in the arms of Mother Mary and the Dalai Lama. Weird, for some distress, I want a man being and other times a woman. I don't know anything more than my own experience, but sometimes I picture myself in their arms and sometimes I try and merge myself with them. And, as you know, I sometimes I hug a tree. All good stuff. Strength and courage can be found inside, of course, but sometimes it helps to get a little help from our friends.

I perceive a lot of spiritual beings trying to help us human beings. Once, Christ appeared to me in an orchard when I was having a moment of existential despair. I was instantly set right. Gracias a Dios. Another time, the being of Unconditional Love showed her face and was such a mighty being that I was flooded with love and peace. I suspect that these guys are always around, always willing, and our job is to turn toward the beings of love and peace and invite them, whether desperately or peacefully, into our lives. Why not take the most immediate help that is offered, and the easiest? Then we can move from our cross into the light of resurrection. Always a good plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment