Tuesday, April 23, 2013

We Need Each Other

We need each other. Then, why is it so hard? We need each other in order that we can resolve our karmic relationships and attain BLISS. I bet that isn't where you thought I was going with this. When this thought came to mind, I expected to be writing about how we need love and nurture and support and feedback and stimulation and a million other things in order to be healthy individuals. But if I follow my Buddhist stream of thought, everyone we meet , we meet because of a karmic connection.

The enlightened beings have worked things through to the place where they can give pure love to everyone including those who might be their worst enemies. When everything is love, of course, you can have no enemies. Every sentient creature is your beloved. "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do." "Love your neighbor as yourself." When someone wrongs you, have compassion for them. They will have the karma of their misdeeds to reap later. By having compassion instead of anger, we free ourselves of our part of the karmic dance.

Enlightenment isn't about knowing everything. It is about being full of light, free of debt, karmically speaking, and free to be blissful. And my good Lama says that we don't have to wait to go to heaven to experience this. I thought Desmond Tutu looks very blissful. I know the Dalai Lama has a smile that comes directly from his heart for everyone he meets.

Years ago, I was at The Courage of Conscience awards given by the Peace Abbey at the Kennedy Center in Boston. There was a man receiving an award. His light shined so brightly that I thought he was an angel. He was Chief John Pretty on Top. He had that look of radiant light that I equate with bliss. He was a part time janitor at a church somewhere, doesn't matter. It was no surprise that people recognized that he was special. What more could we want from life?

No comments:

Post a Comment