Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Change Yourself, Change the World . . . True or False?

From John F. Gardner, "Genius as the Goal of Education"

"If 'ordinary' people are to gain insight, feel courage, assume control, and thus find the happiness that seems so elusive, they will have to convince themselves that something in themselves is
of immeasurable significance and has unlimited capacity for bringing about the good. They can then understand why the paradoxical progress in modern society must become more and more outrageous until we can begin to make the free choice to live from  this higher source within ourselves. We are being taught by events that it takes genius simply to live ordinary life well."

Oh John, so much said in so few words.

I was watching Democracy Now!, the amazing news show with Amy Goodman and they were broadcasting interviews with the main players in the escalation of the Iran/Israel mess. And I got to musing about simple stuff like the Ten Commandments. It seems to me that whole battles have been fought in our country over whether it was religious freedom or religious oppression to even post these in public places. Wouldn't it be a moot point if anyone or everyone actually honored them?

How confusing is "Thou Shall Not Kill"? Just think about it. "Thou Shall Not Kill." I get it. I comprehend those words. I sometimes make exceptions for ticks and certain mosquitoes. So, maybe I don't get it.

And then there is the Christ thing." Love your neighbor as thyself." I get it. Mostly. Or "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." That kind of leads us back to Karma. I don't hear Christ or Moses saying "Don't kill unless it is in your financial interest." or "Don't kill unless you really need oil."

It is indeed a struggle for me to obey even the most child like interpretations of the basic rules. If one can kill with words, and one can, I am certainly guilty of that..though I am trying to improve myself. It ain't easy. The more we live out of our highest self the more chance we have of living an ordinary life well.

No comments:

Post a Comment