Friday, August 17, 2012

My Experience With Medical Tourism

Two thumbs up! But not without its bumps. For years I have known people who have gone away from the USA to get medical attention. It is an odd thing because people come to the USA to get medical help. You know, people like the Shah of Iran. Many citizens here don't have quite his resources, nor  his clout with the government here. Nothing but the best for our favorite dictators. For we the people who fall into the cracks (the ever widening cracks) we have to look elsewhere to get help.

My friend, Sarah Lee Sexton went many years ago to Goa, India for cancer treatment. Other friends have gone to Romania for radiation therapy. A host of friends have gone to Mexico for both dental and cancer help. There are usually several reasons. Firstly, there is $. Secondly, there is what I will call grace. Nice locations, gorgeous flowers, kind and attentive help . . .that kind of stuff. Thirdly, why not get a trip and help for less $ than the minimal treatment will cost here at home.

No matter how extravagant and wonderful our Medicare is and the great give away Medicaid (I am being sarcastic, listening to pols talk is bad for me) we have great huge giant gaps, especially now when the middle class has so many unemployed. HUGE GAPS.

The people I met in Nicaragua last year who were medical tourists were, obviously, not the rich nor the poor. The very poor can't go anywhere. Former felons can't get a passport, for instance. The people I met were mostly middle class folks who found themselves in a situation they never imagined.

I spoke with a bunch of Nicaraguans who want to streamline the process, find ways to support people coming for help. It is hard to plan this (many people are working on it) because the people seeking help  mostly can't afford much in the way of concierge service. But, if people are really sick they need to slip into a streamlined system of transportation, appointments, cooking, cleaning, entertainment, nursing and so on.

I'd say the dental care is less than a tenth of the cost at home. The eye doctors are about a fifth. Tests are really inexpensive. An endoscopy costs about $80, compared to thousands here. Other lab tests are very inexpensive. Food and rents are very reasonable.

I went for massive dental care and also because I love Granada, Nicaragua, and also because I had a friend who had been to the dentist I chose and liked his work and because I couldn't hack another winter in the cold climates. I had been to Nica before, spoke some Spanish and knew a hotel I liked (Hotel Con Corazon), so I had a place to land. I had briefly been there before with my handsome son. I got very good treatment because the staff flirted with him through me. I made friends there with hotel staff who were so kind. Months after my stay at the Hotel, when I was living in a rental house, they came to visit and check on me when I had my various dental surgeries. I even got invited to the wedding of Yvonne. (#.1 reason I love Nicaragua - the Nicaraguans; #2. - The climate; #3. My dentist,  Dr. Jaime Salinas.)

More tomorrow about how to go for medical help to Granada, Nicaragua. Adios amigos, hasta pronto.

No comments:

Post a Comment