Monday, August 20, 2012

You Won't Believe This, Medical Tourism USA

I never shop at WalMart because not only am I a snob (previous blog) but I abhor their business practices, but today I went there to check out the price on contact lenses because they are really expensive at my local drug store. I had the boxes with all the information from my last pair. I had the prescription from my eye doctor in Nicaragua.

The woman behind the counter said that she couldn't be sure of the veracity of the signature from my eye doctor. (How do they prove any doctor's signiture?) Then she said I needed proof that I had an eye exam within the past year. There was a date from January 2012 on the prescription. She wasn't sure that that was when I had the exam or whether it was when he just wrote the prescription. Huh? Then I said I probably had more documentation at home if I got it, could I get a prescription?? She said that actually it was against federal law to fill CONTACT LENS prescriptions from other countries.

I was kind of in shock. She mentioned how very annoyed a customer from Switzerland had been the week previous when she had gotten the same news. (Ah, It wasn't just a Nicaragua thing.) This was getting interesting. So, I asked her "Why is that?". She, the WalMart eye doctor, then went to talk to the other doctor. They made a phone call and came back and told me that CONTACT LENSES are a controlled substance and the same regulations apply to them as to morphine or amphetamines. (I am going to overdose on CONTACT LENSES!

I asked if they were shitting me. They got very serious. Suddenly I pictured myself being led off in cuffs for trying to get hold of a controlled substance. I said I knew people bought these dangerous Johnson and Johnson products on line. They kind of whispered that if I got busted it would be bad.

I want to thank the careful lawmakers that are protecting my eyes from the dangers of a prescription from another country. I want to thank God that I have eye glasses that will serve me for the next few months until I return to Nica. I want you all to know how grateful I am to be saved from my own base instincts to put myself in danger. I will look over my shoulder hoping that having a 'foreign' prescription is not an act of terrorism.

1 comment:

  1. For the terms that something follows to another level trip to niagara falls from nj is quite helpful for us and that's the terms that takes things to another level with the best understanding so far.

    ReplyDelete