Saturday, August 11, 2012

RESPIRE

Respire. I actually like the word breathe better. I love the breath. I did my first aid courses back in the day when you had to do mouth-to-mouth. And I prayed that I would never have to do it for real. The practice dummy was bad enough. Then, this guy in front of us at Coventry Cathedral keeled over and I started to step up. Fortunately, a woman next to him gave him the old mouth-to-mouth until an ambulance came. Whew!

My next close call came when I was with my young kids at a swimming pool in Concord, New Hampshire, USA and the life guard went over backward crashing her head on the cement. The pool was full of kids. I yelled at everyone to get out of the pool. For some reason they did. I rushed to the life guard while yelling at one of the older kids to go home and call 911. Before cell phones it was.

Once again I was saved from performing CPR because she was having a seizure and  bleeding badly from where she cracked her head on the cement. The rescue people arrived quickly. I have never seen so many kids obey so well and so fast.

Then I ran into my moral quandary with the arrival of AIDS. Would I, could I, give mouth-to-mouth in the event that I could catch the AIDS virus? This thought must have come to a lot of people because soon medical workers got given those rubber dams that would protect us from blood and mucus. Really? But I carried those things around with me for years, having mild nightmares about my ability to help if there was vomit involved. I can't do vomit. I once threw up in a supermarket when I chanced upon a broken bottle of gifilta fish. (Bad visual)

Then miracle of miracle we find out that the mouth-to-mouth is no longer necessary, may never have been necessary. And I never had to use it! Thank God. But then it is still amazing to think that one possibly could breath life back into another person. I think we do this spiritually and psychologically and don't give ourselves enough credit. My friend Jane just did this for me this afternoon. Now I can breathe again.

(How the hell do you spell gifilta fish?)

We all have breathed courage into ourselves and others. We have breathed enthousiasm, given heart to those loosing hear

No comments:

Post a Comment