Sunday, December 2, 2012

.Actions Speak Louder Than Words

Actions speak louder than words
Sometimes.
Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me.
Not true.
If thoughts could kill...
They can.
It's better to give than to receive.
Sometimes.
A stitch in time saves nine.
True.
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Sometimes.
If the shoe fits, wear it.
I don't get it.
Better to be safe than sorry.
Mostly.
If you have nothing to say, keep quiet.
True.
Money can't buy happiness.
True.
The best things in life are free.
Not true. Even love costs at some point.
Happiness runs in a circular motion.
Very true.

One year in college when we were going stir crazy with exams or something, my friend Bobbin and I started a back and forth, challenging each other  with who could come up with the most aphorisms. We were remarkably fast and whipped through them, but after we had covered so many, sometimes a day or two went by before I would get a middle of the night phone call answering to the gleeful voice of Bobbin yelling "It's as easy a duck soup" or some such thing. Finally our parents put an end to the contest as it was awakening the whole house at all hours. (You didn't use the phone in those days except for 'important' calls.

The thing was, I don't know if anyone hears these marvelous collections of wisdom any more. I also would have to put in some considerable thinking to evaluate whether they have panned out in my life experience. Above are a few evals.

Also, what the fuck does "It is as easy as duck soup" mean? Our friend Lee postulated that it could mean that the duck is paddling around in his soup so all he has to do is poke his head in the water for a mouth full. Bobbin thought maybe you just throw the duck into the pot and Voila! duck soup. I could go either way. It all seems hard to me, I mean, don't you have to take the feathers off, and all that to make soup. sounds like work to me. It also sounds like work for the little duck to paddle around most of the day in order to get a free lunch.

That reminds me of the great saying in Susan Sontag's (????not sure) book from the sixties. "There is no such thing as a zipless fuck." That turns out to be true. The Buddhists have a nicer way of saying that. ""If you mix your bodily fluids, you join karma to some degree.

We did have a way with words back in the day.


1 comment:

  1. Can I say the "Its as easy as duck soup" is meant to say the opposite like, its not easy at all. Cause making duck soup is probably a lot like making chicken soup can take all day. Especially if you had to kill it, pluck it cook it de-bone it ... just saying

    ReplyDelete