Monday, December 24, 2012

What is Love? I want to get this right. It is Christmas, after all.

Another hard swamp to slog through. It is the question of what is love? Here my voice in answer is nothing but question marks. The most evolved souls to hit this planet have told us what they think and we still don't get it right most of the time. What is love? Today my thoughts turn to a heart that is fully open to another heart, or a plant, or a cloud. What do I mean fully open? I mean that bursting full, almost explosive feeling that can come such as when you see your new baby just as she is born.

This overwhelming feeling of love can come at seemingly random times. I have had the experience that I couldn't sustain life if I felt more joy. I thought my heart would burst. Not often. Not often enough. Because of my head. Thoughts, the monkey mind, get in the way. "I love him (if only he wouldn't...), I love her, but I can't open myself too much because she might leave me., I love this spot but soon  have to go." These thoughts can bum out any love burst.

Then I see a person like the Dalai Lama who gives his full attention to everyone he meets. With his open heart he blasts right into the hearts of everyone to whom he gives his attention. Amazing. I think there is something about letting go of our ego and our needs and being with the moment. Even the worst acting person has a heart in there. We can't see it because it is blotted out by hurt, anger, pain. If we went around and saw into every heart, we would be so inundated by information that it would be hard to live. But, if we could take it one step further and see the pure heart in everyone, I think that other stuff would fade completely.

So, today I, Christmas Eve, I am going to send love to all of you. I am going to send love to your pure heart where you are all perfect, where you are all the newborn babe in the manger. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment