Monday, December 17, 2012

This is a thoughtful comment that came to my email.

I don't know how to post this as a comment on my own blog. So here it is as a 'post'.

Your take on aphorisms clicked in my mind. I too have collected these and played with phrases; I like words and when I was writing a lot in the 80's and 90's I spent such valuable time in my dictionary, thesaurus and Etymology text.  Here are some of the most long lasting: "I don't think  . . . " followed by thinking about some thing . .  . .;How can one be "more that welcome"?  Counter to the usual turn of the phrase, "It is far better to be healthy and wealthy."

Subjects you have touched;
The library this sunday is a presentation by a person versed in Prognostications from ancient to the present. I will report back. 

Also, today's issue 13th of the Ashland Daily Tidings was an interesting article, "If you don't know history, you don't know yourself. I clipped it.  For from the day that I discovered the mini-history of my forebears I knew better who I was. That felt so right. I think now that a personal family history would be the best, practical, and interesting way of teaching history. One could start off from the tracing of a fore-parent and connect that to where, say, George Washington was at the time. Or who FDR was politicking with. 

I will watch this evening a 2nd part to a Netflix series, "this Emotional Life" and see if it was as interesting as the first 90 minutes. I see that my idea has been studied: The very first hour from delivery a child learns to connect; and connections or not, carry ramifications for the whole of life. Julie, where did you come from - and how? I think I was removed from the tit far too early!

"Well, if that doesn't beat the bugs a bitin' I don't know what will. Any way, that sure tickles my fancy. You can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy. That's all folks ! yukity yukity yuk.

I have been prompted by my senior "peers" to consider the prospect of becoming immobile and what would be my wish. To my mind Oregon is the only state that has a reasonable answer. Peers seem to be of a mind to let events evolve--to follow what every one else is doing and end up in a nursing home. Two of the group have done just that.  I say I must take other options. If I can   and    now. 

I send my Love with this, Bert

I hope you are not choosing between a nursing home and physician assisted suicide. What other options does Oregon offer? Previous blogs which discuss how to deal with old folks never brought forth creative options, especially when money is running low and family can't be counted on. So tell us more about your thinking here. You are loved, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment